Fresh Bucks Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Fresh Bucks?
Fresh Bucks is a program that matches basic food benefits (SNAP/EBT/Food Stamps) dollar-for- dollar for up to $10 in fresh produce per shopper per day.
Do you need to have basic food benefits (SNAP/EBT/Food Stamps)?
Yes, for more information on getting basic food benefits, and to find out if you are eligible, here is a downloadable version of our Basic Food Flyer: 2016 Whatcom Basic Food Flyer and a link to the Washington Benefits Estimator: Foodhelp.wa.gov Benefits Calculator
What can I spend Fresh Bucks on?
Fresh vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, herbs, and fruit and vegetable starts for your garden.
How do I use Fresh Bucks at the Community Food Coop and the Twin Sisters Farmers Market?
Fresh Bucks is a Point-of-Sale discount at these locations – receive half off your produce purchase, up to $10 off. Fill your cart with any fresh produce, and receive up to $10 off of your produce purchases at check-out. (For example, bring $20 of produce to check-out, and you will only be charged $10 on your EBT card. Bring $10 of produce, and you will be charged $5 on your EBT card).
How do I use Fresh Bucks at the Bellingham Farmers Market and the Ferndale Farmers Market?
– Swipe, Get Tokens, Shop: go to the info booth to swipe your EBT card, and receive 2 different colored tokens for SNAP and Fresh Bucks to use at any vendor. SNAP tokens can be used to purchase any SNAP-eligible items found at the markets, such as milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, meat, fruits and veggies. Fresh Bucks tokens can be used for fruits, veggies, mushrooms, herbs, and fruit and veggie starts.
Can I hold onto my Farmers’ Market tokens to use at future markets?
Yes, but all tokens expire at the end of the calendar year. Bellingham Farmers Market tokens are good at both the Saturday downtown market and the Wednesday Fairhaven market. Ferndale Farmers Market tokens are only good at the Ferndale Farmers Market.
Do I have to spend $10 EBT to get Fresh Bucks?
– No you do not, you will receive a match for how much you spend in EBT. (For Example: spend $5 EBT, receive $5 Fresh Bucks Match).
What happens if I can’t make it to the Fresh Bucks locations every day?
– Unfortunately, you can only purchase Fresh Bucks by swiping your EBT card in person at these locations each time you shop. Click here for more information on other food and meal resources in Whatcom County.
How often can I use Fresh Bucks?
– At the Co-op, you can use it once a day, every day of the week while supplies last (up to $70 EBT match a week!)
– At the participating Farmers Markets, limit is $10 per person per location each day the markets are open.
Do I have to spend my Fresh Bucks immediately?
– At the Co-op and Twin Sisters Markets, Fresh Bucks will be immediately subtracted from your bill at Checkout.
– At the Bellingham and Ferndale Farmers Markets, you can hold onto and spend your tokens throughout the market season. All tokens will expire at the end of the calendar year.
Where can I go with more questions or comments about Fresh Bucks?
– You can e-mail Naomi, Food Access Coordinator at the Opportunity Council at email@example.com
Where can I use Fresh Bucks?
Community Food Co-op (re-opened June 2016, available while supplies last)
Downtown Location: 1220 N. Forest St. at Holly St. From the Bellingham Transit Station, turn left on Magnolia Street, walk two blocks, turn right on Forest Street, and walk one more block.
Open every day from 7am-10pm
Cordata Location: 315 Westerly Road at Cordata Pkwy. From the Bellingham Transit Station, take Bus Route 15, 232, or 331 to the Cordata Station. From the Cordata Station, walk South on Cordata Pkwy, towards the roundabout. At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Westerly Road and turn left on Westerly Road.
Open every day from 7am-9pm
At the Market Depot on the corner of Railroad Ave. and E. Maple St. From the Bellingham Transit Station, walk 3 blocks down Railroad Ave. to the Farmers’ Market, OR take Bus Route 401 to the stop on State St. at E. Chestnut St., walk along State St. for one block, and take a right on E. Maple St. or cut through the Farmers’ Market parking lot next Leaf and Ladle café.
Saturdays 10am-3pm, Regular Season is every Saturday April-Christmas Winter Season Market is open once a month.
At the Village Green, on the corner of 10th St. and Mill Ave. From the Bellingham Transit Station, take Bus Route 401 to the stop at 12th St. on Mill Ave. and walk along Mill Ave. for one block until you get to the market. Wednesdays (June-Sept) Noon-5pm
2007 Cherry St: Located at the grassy field between Pioneer Park and the Boys & Girls Club
Fridays June 10th – October 28th, 1:00 – 6:00p
Nugent’s Corner: IGA parking lot, 3705 Mt Baker Hwy, Everson, WA 98247,
Saturdays (June – October) 9am – 3pm
Kendall/Maple Falls: East Whatcom Regional Resource Center at 8251 Kendall Rd,
Saturdays (June – October) 10pm – 2pm